[thelist] Checking to see that an email account exists

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Jul 17 13:18:01 CDT 2002

At 08:02 PM 7/17/2002, Joel Canfield wrote:
>In other words, make 'em validate their own addresses. If you're providing a
>service which they've opted into, they'll expect it. If you're sp4mm1ng
>them, they'll ignore you and be happy.

Some listserv software I've seen do this automatically. Every month or so,
they send a "ping" message that just checks to see if your account is still
alive. If that mail bounces (or say, 3 times or more), the user is removed
from the db.

Some email providers, usually those of forwarding services, like
hotpop.com, also do this. It's a good measure.

Joshua, why don't you just clean up your user list based on which addresses
bounce?

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon