[thelist] any favicon artists out there?

Magnus Østergaard magnus at slackware.adsl.dk
Wed Jul 17 14:26:01 CDT 2002

Andrew Clover wrote:

> I never used to bother with shortcut icons as IE has (had? has it been
> fixed?) the annoying habit of expiring them from the cache, turning any
> bookmark with a custom icon into an ugly 'unknown file' icon after a
> few months.
>
> Now Mozilla and Konqueror use it (and use it without having to use a bookmark)
> it probably makes a bit more sense.

The reason for this is privacy. Not one of Microsofts strong sides *G*

The way favicon.ico was introduced it would only be requested when IE
users bookmarked a site. So by looking for favicon requests you would
know who (well ip) and how many bookmarked your site.

So would say this is great, management and marketing - while users might
not like to share this information.

The simple soultion used by Mozilla and Konqueror is to just always
request the favicon.ico. Clever huh! ;-)

I must say though this favicon is a MS hack, I find it very useful when
tab browsing in Mozilla. The title might not say so much, and with many
windows open it gets very small, but the Icon helps to se what pages are
open.

ps. Now if only I could find a GNU favicon I'd be really happy.

--
Magnus Østergaard