[thelist] Arrgggh! Background Music Again

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 15:45:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Gina K. Anderson" <gina at sitediva.com>
[...]
> I've copied a song of the CD the client sent, and made it an mp3. Okay
> there-- it's 4MB so I'm thinking I might try to grab the chorus and
> just loop it. Well, I'm missing a beat or two here or there and it
> doesn't sound right. I've used MP3Trim, MP3 Sound Cutter, MP3
> Workshop, SuperSonic, and Audio Edit Deluxe. I still can't get it
> right. I'm thinking the loop thing is a bad idea :-P

i'm a big fan of editing the .wav over the .mp3... it's akin to editing
.jpg images vs. .tif...  either way, if you've got the audio software (i
use GoldWave or SoundForge, depending on where i am), it
ultimately comes down to your ear... sure, the oscilloscope helps,
but you just have to feel it out...  and doing a cross fade can help,
too, so the jump isn't nearly as harsh...

> Does anyone have any tips for me to get these MP3's down to a
> respectable size? I'm putting them in a Flash file to be used on the
> site for loading and playing. Will Flash compress them even more?
> What's the biggest file size I should scale the initial MP3 down to?
> I've got something that will fade in and out, but for the time I need
> it's still like 400kb...
[...]

400kb isn't that bad... yes, i just said that... me of all people...

i say this because it will stream through Flash... it's not all one
download, and if the user doesn't like the tunes, he/she can kill it
(with a stop button) only a few k into the download anyway...

streaming it makes the entire thing *much* easier to deal with...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself