[thelist] Arrgggh! Background Music Again

nagrom morgan at morgankelsey.com
Wed Jul 17 16:14:07 CDT 2002

> > From: "Gina K. Anderson" <gina at sitediva.com>
> [...]
> > I've copied a song of the CD the client sent, and made it an mp3. Okay
> > there-- it's 4MB so I'm thinking I might try to grab the chorus and
> > just loop it. Well, I'm missing a beat or two here or there and it
> > doesn't sound right. I've used MP3Trim, MP3 Sound Cutter, MP3
> > Workshop, SuperSonic, and Audio Edit Deluxe. I still can't get it
> > right. I'm thinking the loop thing is a bad idea :-P
>
> i'm a big fan of editing the .wav over the .mp3... it's akin to editing
> .jpg images vs. .tif...  either way, if you've got the audio software (i
> use GoldWave or SoundForge, depending on where i am), it
> ultimately comes down to your ear... sure, the oscilloscope helps,
> but you just have to feel it out...  and doing a cross fade can help,
> too, so the jump isn't nearly as harsh...

[..snippy..]

zoom way in on the file in the graphical editor, get your start and end
points to be at points where the wave crosses the middle horizon.
the beginning should be an upward slope (starting from zero-center).
the end should be the end of an upward swoop from the very bottom. (imagine
them stitched together, they should be continuous)
to find the beat, well, you gotta find your ray charles gene, everyone has
one.
and yar to the aardvark. use your ears, the force is all around us.