[thelist] Re: another php question: object reference syntax

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Wed Jul 17 21:02:01 CDT 2002

Hi Tom,

    > is about the silliest thing I've ever seen. PLEASE
    > tell me you can do $bar.do_foo(); like the rest of
    > the universe does...

For your leisure reading:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop.php

Personally, I try to belong to this universe when I code in PHP/Perl. The
syntax you refer to (dot notation) is more for the compiled languages like
Java and C++. But since you denoted your object instance with a dollar
sign -- "$bar" -- I guess you were not speaking of Java/C++.

AFAIK, a dot in PHP and Perl (among others I am sure) is used for string
concatenation.

Cheers,
Shanx