[thelist] Business name

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 23:31:01 CDT 2002

> From: "{ schaapy }" <list01 at theparagon.org>
>
> As much as I agree my only disagreeable thought is the message. For
> people that already know me it's great to have my name as a brand. For
> those people that don't know me or my company - how would "Aaron
> Schaap" send them a message that I do web development?
[...]

it doesn't, you have to do that yourself by telling them what you
do...  using your own name means you are, literally, putting your
good name on the line...

you're not investing in magazine ads or billboards, right?  so how
many people will see *any* name you come up with if you don't give it
to them, or they don't come by referral?  IOW, you can market the
brand at the same moment the brand gets exposed, or when people refer
you, it's already within context anyway...

secondarily, why not just use your name and what you do?
- Aaron Schaap Web Development
- Schaap Web Development

after all, even if you come up with something witty, won't you still
include 'web development,' or a reasonable facsimile, in the name
anyway?  how else will they know HyperMegaGlobalNet does web
development if you don't include it in the name, or at least in the
logo and all your identity pieces (business cards, letterheads,
envelopes, invoices, etc.)?

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself