[thelist] any favicon artists out there?

Andrew Clover and-evolt at doxdesk.com
Thu Jul 18 01:49:02 CDT 2002

Tom Dell'Aringa <pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> nowt that's any use for pixel-by-pixel screen work. Anyone?

> Ummm...hmm..PHOTOSHOP?

Umm, NO. :-)

The 'Shop is great at photo and print work - does exactly what it says on the
tin. For small-scale screen-based images, though, it's hopeless(*). The sorts
of things you want to do when you're editing icons and other small images
are single-pixel set/clearing, simple primitives and quick, pixel-perfect
movements of image parts. Photoshop makes these things cumbersome, and that
goes for Paint Shop Pro, Photo-Paint, Photo Impact and the Gimp too.

I don't want a tool to be creative in - I prefer vector graphics apps
for that. I want a quick and simple but flexible tool for low-level
alterations. But I've never encountered such a thing (for Windows or
Linux at least). Do I really have to start writing one?

> Maybe you meant an inexpensive editor...

Well, that'd be nice too...

(* - although the ImageReady features makes it somewhat less useless
     than it used to be.)

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com