[thelist] frontpage or not(ish)

Simon Hibbard shibbard at seri.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 02:04:01 CDT 2002

Hi All,

I just wondered if i could get some feedback regarding a site i
have been asked to look into.

Basically the client wants a redesign of a site and to also allow
updates to be made by themselves. This includes any text and additions
to the DHTML navigation.

The thing is he is used to using frontpage for other web pages he has
produced, and says he would like to use frontpage to do the updates
to the site. I was initally going to provide (as i usually do) an
admin section to make the changes necessary.

The problem is i have no experience of using frontpage or even what
it is really used for but am feeling very weary of letting him have
access to the site - download entire pages - making changes and uploading
them again. For the upload/download procedure in itself i would probably
provide some sort of facilty so he can not access the site directly but
could still easily screw a page or two up. Also can frontpage handle DHTML?

Any feedback at all would be much appreciated as i am meeting tonight and
it will be difficult to negotiate without any frontpage knowledge.

To be honest i don't like the idea of using frontpage for this - seems
like too much user control, but apparenlty its use is quite widespread.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.