[thelist] How does the tip harvester avoid collecting quoted tips twice?

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Thu Jul 18 04:03:00 CDT 2002

I have an idea for a system similar to the Evolt tip harvester, but that
allows a mailing list to be integrated with a Wiki instead:

<wiki page="TestPage">
A bot spots this content and appends it to the bottom of
the wiki page called "TestPage"
</wiki>

The problem with this system is that if someone were to quote the above,
the bot would pick it up and add it twice. I imagine Evolt's tip harvester
faces a similar problem - does anyone know how it solves this?

Thanks,

Simon Willison
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/