[thelist] Resources on building an intranet

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 18 09:11:01 CDT 2002

On Thursday 18 July 2002 06:39, Minh Lee Goon wrote:
> I have been charged with the task of building our intranet, and I'm
> excited about taking that challenge head on. On the other hand, this is
> not a task I want to tackle uninformed or unequipped. Is there anyone
> who has done this already and can recommend resources or offer advice?
> Any help I can get in this matter will be most helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Minh Lee

Good Morning Minh :

I have built an intranet before (but not on a huge scale -- 20 computers).
Things that I have noticed coming in handy :

1. Hardware information

	Having all your network card's information (or if you are going to buy them,
try to get them all from the same manufacturer/model number). This way it
prevents hassles when you are trying to configure disparate systems. This may
not apply if you are strictly a Windows shop -- but anytime it comes to other
OSes, information such as IRQ, etc. come in handy.

	Nearly every company that manufactures network cards also has
hubs/routers/switches on the market. If at all possible, try to get products
from the same company. Don't skimp on network cards. I know the $9.99 deals
sound tempting, but paying extra for a good autosensing card now will pay off
in saved headache(s) for you and your clients in the future. In addition,
buying from the same manufacturer gives you some guarantee that the products
are compatible, and in case you run into a snafu, the company rep at the
other end of the line will be better equipped to help you.

2. Map out your network

	It always helps having a large display of your topology. My favorite way of
doing this is on a whiteboard -- showing IP addresses (and hostnames) of
computers and a brief description. Helps immensly when troubleshooting. Also,
attaching network information (IP address, Name, Server (if applicable)) to
each client computer also helps when you are sitting away from abovementioned
chart.

3. Cabling

	If at all possible, get your cabling needs assessed by a professional -- and
have your cable precut and crimped for you. Nothing worse than realizing to
messed up the wires on one end. If a professional is out of the question (or
budget) -- then following these simple tips will help with cabling.

	1. Measure your cables generously. Leave extra slack.
	2. Avoid laying your cables under carpet, or wedging them between door jams.
	3. Get your cables pre-cut at your computer shop.

	If you are going to get a special cable (crossover) done, attaching a piece
of tape to the modified end helps distinguishing it from the rest. Also, like
network cards, cabling is another area where people tend to skimp. Going with
quality cabling ensures speedier performance of your network

4. Timing

	Set aside a couple of days (depending on the size of you network) and do
nothing but 'net. If you let other things get in the middle of you setting up
your network, believe me, it will seem to snowball.

5. Security

	One of the easiest things you can do as far as security goes is to unplug
wires from the hub that are not being used. At my university -- any student
can walk up with a network cable and laptop, find a jack, plug in, and
chances are, get online and access the local net without a hitch. A big
security problem. Another one of those basic things is -- keep your hub in a
secure place. Switches/hubs/wiring cabinets are all important to your
infrastructure -- and not to mention expensive -- so keeping them under lock
and key is a good idea.

6. Servers

	If you are going to have a dedicated server room, first make sure it is
secure, and second, make sure it is well ventilated. It may not seem like
much, but a bunch of CPUs sitting around whizzing packets can generate a lot
of heat. And heat is not good for a computer. So, keeping the air circulating
is a good idea. Again, let me give you the example of my university. The
server room is climate controlled -- and the air is filtered (for dust). It
is also setup to have its own electrical/HVAC system wth redundant backups,
so that if the power goes out (like it did in an ice storm this year), the
servers can shutdown gracefully.  This may seem like overkill, but the
university has some very old (and expensive) computer equipment. Your needs
may vary. On the topic of servers, let me touch on backup. Have it -- do it
-- do it often. Make backups of your backups. Store them (if at all possible)
offsite. This way, if a flood comes raging through, atleast your tapes are
safe.

This is getting wayy too long. I hope this gives you a head start in your
networking adventure.

--
Burhan