[thelist] Resources on building an intranet

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Thu Jul 18 09:11:09 CDT 2002

Our Intranet has grown organically - it includes a very simple central page
which displays the latest changes, a telephone list and links to various
internal functions and tools. We have built a sales support system which is
tailored to our specific needs, a dictionary of terms (to help ensure we all
refer to our various products with the same language), some statistics,
links to various important document folders on our network and that's about
it.

The most important is the sales system - it has been one of our major
internal projects taking a few man-months to build. However it started from
a simple beginning (my boss asked us to builkd something where the sales
people could add companies to a list, mark their current position with us
and the position we would like them to have plus add "to-do" tasks against
each company) and has grown organically as we have discovered new
requirements. It's perhaps not the best way to build such a tool, but has
worked out well for us as our needs have changed with time.

My main recommendation is start simple, focus on the things that people
*actually* need and as folk start to understand what is possible on the
Intranät they will start to come to you with ideas which will lead to the
*real* moneymaking (timesaving... whatever) tools.

I hope that gives you something to work with.

.steve

 Cookstour - http://www.cookstour.org