[thelist] weird atomz search question

Shaun Anderson shaunanderson at shaunanderson.info
Thu Jul 18 10:20:00 CDT 2002

I just got mine, and happened to read the tip, which I normally don't do,
and it says:
TIP OF THE WEEK -- New Information Displayed in Your Search Reports

search reports to give you a more accurate representation of the number of
searches performed on your site. Depending on your search form usage, you
may see two new entries in your reports. They are labelled "Blank Query" and
"Next/Previous", and were both previously omitted from your report. These
new entries, together with the counts for search queries, give you the total
number of searches in your account.

"Blank Query" shows the number of times the search form was submitted with
no query entered. While there are many possible reasons for this, one may be
a design issue in your search form. For example, if your search form uses a
collections pull-down menu, and displays a "GO" button to submit, visitors
can select a Collection and click GO (without entering a query). They might
not even realize they were using a search form. Small changes to your search
form's design can reduce this problem.

"Next/Previous" shows how many times your visitors did not find what they
were looking for on the first page of results. When your visitors click
links on the results page that continue their search without entering a new
query (i.e., Next, Previous, Hide Summaries, Sort by Date, or Sort by Score)
it will be counted in the "Next/Previous" entry.

As many of you will discover, these new entries can account for a large
number of searches performed of which you were not previously aware. To
accommodate these new entries, we have increased the Top Searches shown in
this weekly search report from 5 to 10.