[thelist] frontpage or not(ish)

Dave Nelson dnelson at netbank.com
Thu Jul 18 10:38:00 CDT 2002

Simon Hibbard [mailto:shibbard at seri.co.uk] asked:
> Hi All,
<snip>
> The thing is he is used to using frontpage for other web pages he has
> produced, and says he would like to use frontpage to do the updates
> to the site. I was initally going to provide (as i usually do) an
> admin section to make the changes necessary.
> <snip>
> Any feedback at all would be much appreciated as i am meeting
> tonight and
> it will be difficult to negotiate without any frontpage knowledge.
>
> To be honest i don't like the idea of using frontpage for this - seems
> like too much user control, but apparenlty its use is quite
> widespread.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Simon.

One good way to keep users from destroying the DHTML in web pages while
using FrontPage is to use the "Include Page" feature. Just build the web
pages as templates and then have the content in seperate files that get
included into the 'real' pages. This include happens at design-time so
requires nothing of the web server.

This means that every web page will now be two web pages but you may clean
that up by moving them to different directories.

The real problem I have is not with user's editing the files, but with them
trying to upload/publish them. Still haven't worked that out.

Dave Nelson