[thelist] .NET: general questions.

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Jul 18 13:51:01 CDT 2002

thanks!! (and no i do not think i throw around exclamation points too
liberally!!)

> CWP> 1. are any third-party programs needed to develop .NET
> applications?
>
> you the .net framework and an editor.  notepad works fine.  visual
> studio.net is excellent if you have access to it, otherwise ms have
> release a free alternative called webmatrix
> (http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx), which looks rather good.

you mean *I* have to write this? oh crap. then that leads me to my next
question. HOW DO I WRITE CODE?!?! in fact WHAT IS A PROGRAM?!

> CWP> 3. i've heard that C# is more like C++. is this
> correct(or am i making
> CWP> this up)?
>
> yep.  c# is based on c.  the syntax is pretty similar, case sensitive
> etc.

i think i will choose c# then. less code, and c is what i started with
also.

Good bye End If!! welcome curly braces!! and that Try operator
(operator?) looks interesting.

thanks again for the insight. and i guess until i come across any other
snags, i'll stay quiet.

chris.