[thelist] Resources on building an intranet

fstorr fffrancis at fstorr.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 14:36:01 CDT 2002

I have been charged with the task of building our intranet, and I'm
excited about taking that challenge head on.

_____________

Ok, I'm going for the site development side of this....

Start by finding out what people want.  Ask everyone from directors to
the people that open the post.  Find out what matters to them, and what
they'd like to see/would be useful to them.  You'll learn a lot, believe
me - and they'll have ideas that you'll probably have never thought of.

Don't be over ambitious - start small and grow the content.

Have document owners - people in the business that are responsible for
keeping documents up to date.  If you're using this as a business tool
it's essential.  If the documents haven't been updated in a set amount
of time (say 3 months) threaten to remove the document.  This works!

Have a lauch party (I see this has been suggested already) - it's a
great idea and does work.  Invite people to come and see you/your team
over the course of a day, and you can show them around the site.  And
you can use that opportunity to get 1 to 1 feedback and more ideas for
future content.

HTH

Francis