[thelist] Accessible Links in an imagemap

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Fri Jul 19 11:14:01 CDT 2002

> I wasn't clear earlier - I'm not using this for navigation. I've got a map
> of the world divided into regions, and each region pops up a window with
> statistical data about that specific region.

[snip]

> Is there a better solution, besides layers (this needs to be 4.x compatible
> and degrade nicely, and I never did like messing around with NN4 and
> layers), that could work in this situation?

This is navigation -- the user will be navigating to the data that they
want. Perhaps a "datasheet" mentality would be a better idea, where the data
is equally legible in a standard browser window. They can always use the
Back button in the browser to return to the map -- that's what it's there
for, after all.

Javascript is OK for navigation, as long as you provide alternative means of
access to the data for browsers with no Javascript.

E.g.

onclick="pop(this.href,'dataWin',options);return false">Switzerland data</a>

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>