[thelist] frontpage or not(ish)

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Fri Jul 19 11:31:01 CDT 2002

here is the problem. (at least, one or two of them)

(i'm going to use vbscript syntax)

say you pull out some data from a database and then display it.

your code may look like this...
------------------------
My name is <%= myName %>.
------------------------

if someone is using frontpage, or dreamweaver, (or whatever) they will
see this...
------------------------
My name is .
------------------------

a normal person will see that and think of it as a mistake and possibly
try to correct it. thus breaking the code and causing problems.

also, how much of the site do they want to change? if it's a dynamically
built site then there wouldn't be much to change (i.e. there probably
wouldn't be any individual article pages [if it were a site that had
articles] so they wouldn't need to change those) since it would all be
pulled out of the database at runtime. however, if it's like a text menu
that's not built dynamically then there probably wouldn't be a problem
since it wouldn't be interfering with any server-side code.

two things to think about...

1. what and how much are they going to change?
2. use includes a lot, and try to keep as much code as you can out of
the individual pages (and in the includes [i.e. function definitions]).
if you can do something with a function, then do it. that will make
things easier down the line.

chris.