[thelist] MSSQL, transactions, stored procedures and multiple inserts (phew !)

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Fri Jul 19 12:10:01 CDT 2002

> I get the impression that opening temp tables and looping through
> those is more costly in terms of server loading than doing a bunch
> of very simple inserts. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

actually, temp tables inside a stored proc are very fast, probably lots
faster than initiating several individual sql statements

consider this -- if you run a moderately complex query with an ORDER BY,
chances are that the database will be building temporary tables for
intermediate results... and we don't complain much about them, do we

and as for using ado or whatever it is, the good thing on your side is that
there are plenty of knowledgeable people around that can help you

>  I'm open to being proven wrong ;-)

with microsoft, yes, you are   ;o)

okay, cheap shot, i take it back, sorry!!

rudy