[thelist] Here comes SVG (was: Free Flash charts?)

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sun Jul 21 09:46:01 CDT 2002

Hi,
<----- Original Message -----
<From: "Hassan Schroeder" <hassan at webtuitive.com>
<> One of the first to do this was Adobe, who released the free browser
plugin,
<> currently at version 3, and still the most widely used SVG implementation
on
<> the desktop.
<> http://www.adobe.com/svg/

<> * Adobe's viewer, and others, allow traffic to and from the server from
<> within your SVG file, using Javascript.

<Wow, thanks for the comprehensive analysis!

<But is there a plug-in available other than Adobe's? It has the
<unfortunate effect of crashing Moz (1.0) on pages with embedded
<SVG (which I just discovered, but there's a bug filed already).

There are other plugins, but mostly for PDA/mobile etc, and none that can
replace Adobe's viewer in the browser.

The Mozilla/Adobe mismatch is unfortunate, we are hoping Adobe will release
an updated viewer that supports Mozilla/NS7.
It might help if we ask them here:
http://www.adobe.com/svg/feedback/feedback.html

The crashing problem only happens with SVG files embedded inside an HTML
file. Native .svg files can be viewed normally.
I also publicized a hack by using <IFrame> to embed the SVG, which works
ok.:
http://richardinfo.com/svg/iframetest.html

Naturally your Mozilla browser will still crash if you navigate to existing
embedded SVG content though.

Cheers,
Richard