[thelist] Media-specific Stylesheets

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Mon Jul 22 10:25:01 CDT 2002

I'm not sure what you mean, Chris, but let's see if this is what you're
after:

>will you give an example using standard.css and better.css (or something
>like that)?
>
>how do i properly use the @media thing?

An example from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html#at-media-rule

@media print {
   body {font-size:12pt}
}

In browsers that support this rule, that would mean that when the pages
which reference this style sheet are printed, the default body text size
becomes set to 12 point type. If you have referenced every other font-size
in your document to that default, then all the text should resize itself
accordingly when printed.

>and when the @media stylesheet is executed, is it just an add-on or does
>it replace the "lower-tech" sheet?

It's an add-on, in that it only replaces those rules which are specified
within it. IOW, if your main sheet in the above exmaple said body
{color:red} then when you printed the page the text would be in 12 point
red type.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224