[thelist] web site maintenance woes

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Tue Jul 23 02:00:01 CDT 2002

> 2) Does anyone have ideas about how to convince management
> that we need more manpower if we want to keep expanding the site?

Hi Becky,

This shouldn't require a *lot* of convincing if management understands basic
business principles, but that's not always the case.

What we've done is maintain a log of every request for updates, additions,
modifications to the site. The only stuff I don't track are tasks which take
less time to perform than to log. Otherwise, it goe on the list. Shows how
much I'm doing, and gives me a tool for prioritizing.

If you show a consistent log of time spent maintaining the current site, it
should be evident that expansion into new areas is going to slow if the
staff isn't increased.

Management likes to see numbers and charts and visual stuff. Speak to them
in their language, and they'll get the message.

joel