[thelist] RE: [thelist][OT] Alcohol

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Tue Jul 23 16:12:01 CDT 2002

> Is teetotalarianism possible if one wishes to
> be a normal, social member of the Web
> development / Cpt Sci community?

Absolutely. It sounds like you're being pretty smart about the whole thing.
If you need booze to have a good time, then you've got issues.

I drank more often (socially, anyway) in high school, when it was illegal
for me to do so, than I ever have in college. I think mostly it was due to
the "I'm not supposed to be doing this" and "my parents would kill me"
syndromes.

I don't think you need beer, or any kind of alcohol, for an interesting
conversation or a fun evening. The reason, I'd guess, that beervolts and
such are so popular is because going to a bar is a "safe" activity -- if we
had movievolts, no one would be able to decide on a movie (never mind the
fact that we couldn't talk to each other)... A bar has something for
everyone (billiards, darts, conversation; beer, whiskey, water) to enjoy.

My $0.02.

--ken