[thelist] Netscape, Frame, Target, Different Domains

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 05:14:01 CDT 2002

>There is a frameset with frames named "top", "body", "right" and "bottom".

Don't EVER use 'top' as a frame name, since it's reserved in JavaScript and
the browser may behave strangely. I don't know whether this is the problem
you're experiencing, but do yourself a favour and use another name. I'm not
very happen with 'body' either, but as far as I know this is not explicitly
forbidden.

>This frameset is on a domain, which we'll call marmalade.com. One of the
>frames loaded is on what we'll call jammaking.com (These two domains are on
>the same machine).

What machine they're on doesn't matter. It seems to be a question of
domains.

>It loads in the "main" frame without problems. However, it has some links
>in that have a target attriubute of "right".
>
>On my machine, Windows XP, this works as expected in Internet Explorer
>(6.0) and Mozilla (1.0), but in Netscape (4.75), it opens in a new window.

Opening a new window means that the browser doesn't recognize the name as
one of an already opened frame. (I suppose you knew this already).

I'm not sure what the bug is. This is with normal links, right? No fancy
JavaScripts that give errors because they're trying to change pages from
another server (domain).

Try using different names for the frames, all names you use now may have a
special meaning. Not sure if this helps, but it's the first thing I'd try.

If that doesn't help I need to see the page (URL please, *no* attachments).

ppk