[thelist] dot_slash vs slash for relative reference..

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Wed Jul 24 07:31:00 CDT 2002

> Thanks Mark, by dots did you mean "../../" kind of stuff? Or "./" as
> well?

../../

> The two dots makes life a little too complicated on the webserver side
> for me. And the single dot doesn't work on the filesystem. So I guess
> "/" is still the best?

Single dot reference means "in the same directory as the calling file".
Single slash -- with no dots -- means starting from the web root. The single
dot reference will work on a local file system, but perhaps not in the way
you had expected.

Example
HTML file is at <http://www.mark.ac/help/index.php>

Image file called as src="./help.gif" (with dot) is at
<http://www.mark.ac/help/help.gif>

Image file called as src="/help.gif" (without dot) is at
<http://www.mark.ac/help.gif>

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>