[thelist] All CSS Layout and Browser Compatability

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Wed Jul 24 23:14:00 CDT 2002

Is it possible to do an entire site using only DIV tags and CSS layout?
I love the kind of simplicity implied by the designs at BlueRobot
<http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/> but am worried about stranding
x% of viewers with "other" browsers...

What browsers break? Will NN 4.x be the only one to go really crazy? I
look at Web Standards "browser upgrade" campaign
<http://webstandards.org/act/campaign/buc/> and it seems I am going to
be SOL for anything less than a 5.x browser...

And for another totally newbee question, can you get two DIVs
side-by-side without resorting to absolute positioning? Or even just an
image to the left or right of a DIV  (again without absolute
positioning)?

While I'm asking stupid questions, I may as well ask about the @import
stuff mentioned on this list with regards to "hiding CSS from broken
browsers). Can someone give me an example, and/or explain what the
broken browsers will be left looking at?

Pondering when I can ditch cluttering up my content with gratuitous

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com