[thelist] Re: CSS - a:hover and a:visited

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Thu Jul 25 18:59:01 CDT 2002

Message from Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC) (7/25/2002 05:10 PM)
>I have everything in the order mentioned on the page but a:active won't
>work.
>well....it will but not the way I expected it to work.....
>If I open the links on a separate window the the link for that page will
>remain blue (active) but if I just click on the link and the page opens
>then the link for that opne page won't remain blue.....

Hi Flavia,

I think maybe you're misinterpreting the function of :active.
According to the spec, "The :active pseudo-class applies while an element
is being activated by the user. For example, between the times the user
presses the mouse button and releases it. "

I'm guessing here but I think what you want is the clicked link to remain
"active" as a sort of "You Are Here" indicator. Yes? No? If I'm totally
off-base ignore the remainder of this post.

You mentioned you're using an SSI for the navigation.
Maybe you could do some sort of conditional within the SSI and test the
current URL. Then write out something like <span
class="currentlink">item</span> if the URL matches an item, otherwise make
the item a link - <a href="whatever">item</a>

There are several ways to do this, some more efficient than others. Hope
that gets you started.

regards.
-marc