[thelist] character encoding & validation

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jul 25 23:32:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I have a series of pages which transform XML
server-side with XSLT (using ASP), and am having
a problem getting them to validate.

http://www16.brinkster.com/maxwells/quotes/moretests/quote.asp?week=3

The validator is complaining about the character-
encoding. The server is spitting it out by default as
but the W3C (apparently) doesn't like UTF-16, and
gives me a fatal error. When I override the character
encoding (to iso-8859-1) for the W3C's validator
it throws no errors.

Being Brinkster, I have no access to server settings.
Having said that, is there anything I can do to
tell the server which encoding to use? I've done a
response.write to write in the DTD, but can't /
don't know how to write in the character encoding
because everything, from <html> to </html>, is
done by the server. It's not *vital* that the
pages (be) validate(able), but I'd prefer that
they did.

Any sugestions welcome,

tia,

Duncan O'Neill