[thelist] Grabbing a section of an image out of a larger image

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Sun Jul 28 16:42:01 CDT 2002

From: "Tim Luoma" <luomat at peak.org>
To: "Evolt List" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: July 29, 2002, Monday 2:04 AM
Subject: [thelist] Grabbing a section of an image out of a larger image

> I'm trying to extract one image (an oval) out of a larger image
> (rectangle) so that I can take the oval and put it (with a transparent
> background) on another webpage.
>
> I've got the LE version of Photoshop, but that's about it as far as
> graphics tools go...

With Photoshop, it's quite easy.
Open the image in Photoshop and click on "Crop" tool. Create a rectangle
around the oval with "Crop" tool. Its sides will look like running ants.
Adjust the size of the of the crop rectangle so that oval is inside it
and the sides of rectangle pass over the sides of oval. Double click on
the oval. Create a new image with transparent background. Use File>New
for this purpose. Go to the oval image and click Edit>Copy. Come back to
the new image. Click Edit>Paste. Choose "Eraser" tool and erase the
unnecessary image around the oval.
If the oval has only one colour then Choose "Magic Wand" tool and click
on oval. Choose "Eraser" tool and erase by dragging over the image
arbitrarily.
If you simply mail the image to me, I'll do it for you.
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/