[thelist] using ms publisher files

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Jul 29 11:48:01 CDT 2002

At 10:05 PM 29-07-02, Wayne wrote:
>I'm building a CMS system that needs to take publisher files and convert
>them into HTML or something else like pdf or jpg for web viewing.  I
>want my users to be able to just design flyers as they would normally do
>in publisher which is their program of choice not mine and submit it
>through a form.

I don't think the Publisher format specs are available, and even if they
were, it would probably be very difficult to convert such precise layouts,
typefaces, etc. into HTML without writing horribly mangled code (one of
those terrible Adobe web design products - PageMill? - comes to mind.)

Lots of absolute positioning, lots of divs... I can't begin to imagine the
mess it would be. Not to mention the lack of transparency and other DTP
luxuries.

Perhaps there's a plug-in that allows you to create PDF directly from
Publisher. I downloaded one for MS Word the other day, but it doesn't work
for other apps. Dig around http://www.pdfzone.com and see if there's
anything there.

Regards,

Madhu