[thelist] Domain host moving suggestions for unintterupted email service

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Jul 29 12:54:01 CDT 2002

At 11:12 PM 29-07-02, Sean Lawrence wrote:
>I imagine a number of people on this list have moved domaind from one
>porvider to another.

Oh yeah.

>Do any of you who have have any suggestions to make email service as
>uninterrupted as possible?

Simple. Migrate all accounts first. Test them to be sure. Send mail to
user at ipaddress e.g., user at 10.0.0.1 (fake, 10 networks are private). Only if
that works should you switch the DNS server settings.

Despite that, some ISPs would have cached your previous DNS settings. So a
small part of mail over a 24-72 hour period could go to your old provider
account. You can usually retrieve them (if you haven't shut down that
account already) by using the IP address of that mail server as your POP
server address. This works if you've got a unique IP for the mail server.
I'm not sure what would happen if your IP is shared. Anyone?

Don't *ever* leave moving to the last moment. Only when your new provider
account is all set up and working should you terminate the old account.

HTH.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon