[thelist] Google antics?

Shashank Tripathi shanx at shanx.com
Tue Jul 30 06:07:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

Lost a wager today about this. Why does Google return different results
from different locations, or different Internet connections?

When I search for a term from the office, Google returns x number of
results. When I come home and search for the same term, I get y results.
And I don't mean a little bit of difference between x and y, it's like 6
results versus 102 results!

Could it be that Google has several servers placed at different
locations in the world and the new search archives are synchronized
internationally after a lag? Which could mean that I get the more recent
archive from office because we have a direct connection to North
America, but my connection from home still has only an old archive due
to different ISP (and hence different Internet connection)?

Or is it that my ISP from home caches Google search pages? (I doubt).

Or...

Would be nice to hear what your thoughts are..

Shashank