[thelist] [OT] Terrible Websites

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Wed Jul 31 10:06:00 CDT 2002

At 08:56 31/07/2002 -0600, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
>not only that, but if you've disabled 'unrequested popup windows' in
>mozilla, they don't offer a simple recourse (it would be very easy to
>offer a link saying "if new window doesn't open, click here").  For me,
>it's almost not worth browsing without turning the 'unrequested popup
>windows' off, so i usually don't bother with sites that make me turn it
>back on, unless there's a /very/ good reason.

Yup, I got stung by that too (I turned on unrequested windows to take a
look and it's highly unimpressive when you get inside). I still haven't
written an article for Evolt - would it be worth compiling a collection of
things-you-should-never-do along with reasons for avoiding them? It would
be pretty negative but it strikes me that most of the information on shoddy
design techniques on the web is several years out of date - I always feel a
bit silly directing people to useit.com columns from 1996 telling them not
to use frames :)

It could end up being a pretty huge article - the list of do-nots is
endless. I'm just worried that it would never get read by the people who
make the mistakes, or if it was they wouldn't take any notice anyway :(