[thelist] Is changing window.status='evil?';

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Jul 31 11:49:01 CDT 2002

At 10:13 PM 31-07-02, Geoff Sheridan wrote:
>On one of my websites I've used javascript to change the
>window.status to give a description of the page the link will lead
>to. I've also used title="whatever" to describe the link.
>I am getting an unsettling feeling that using window.status in this
>manner is somehow inherently *EVIL*.
>thelist-ers, should I remove this code?

Er, yes. If you've got the TITLE attribute, people know where they're going
to go. Why obscure the URL for them? I like to know which site I'm going to
before I visit, and every time I see one of those status bar messages, I
feel like handing the designer a knuckle sandwich. (Thanks to the
Proxomitron, however, I never see them any more.)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant