[thelist] Is changing window.status='evil?';

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Wed Jul 31 12:34:00 CDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:43:38 +0100
Geoff Sheridan <web2k2 at premonition.co.uk> wrote:

> On one of my websites I've used javascript to change the
> window.status to give a description of the page the link will lead
> to. I've also used title="whatever" to describe the link.
> I am getting an unsettling feeling that using window.status in this
> manner is somehow inherently *EVIL*.
> thelist-ers, should I remove this code?

Given that Mozilla has a "Don't let people mess with the status"
next to the "Don't let people fire popups at me" option, and that the
Mozilla users I know keep both of them checked - I would say yes you
should remove the code. As you are using title it is redundant anyway.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.