[thelist] Unicode

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Wed Jul 31 14:17:01 CDT 2002

I'd like to start writing my pages in Unicode, but I'm not sure I know how.

First of all, my editor (jedit), has two options for encoding: 'Unicode' and
'UTF-8'. I think I know that utf-8 is a compressed subset of unicode. Anyway, I
have the following page saved as UTF-8:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
"DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
  <head>
    <title>something</title>
  </head>
    &#x0C21;

When I load that in Mozilla though, with character encoding set to UTF-8, all
that comes up is a "?". That code is supposed to bring up some weird african
symbol, if the unicode code charts are telling the truth.

What am I doing wrong? Also, what's the difference between unicode and utf-8?
Which should I use? How you do specify a unicode encoding? more questions of the
same type, i'm sure you can anticipate...

Thanks!

-joel