[thelist] replace <b> with <strong> (why dont use b tag)]

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Jul 31 15:56:00 CDT 2002

Adam Fahy wrote:

> When do you want a discrete item bold without it having a reason or
> specific meaning?

When my artistic muse tells me it should be bold; that's between
me and my muse, and maybe my clients ... :-)

The Web certainly deserves to be better structured, semantically,
but for most of us it's /still/ a medium with *visual* elements.

Visuals are OK.

> Ask yourself the question, "what am I making bold?"
>
> The point is not to forgo <b> for the sake of forgoing <b>, but rather
> to ask yourself if there is a more meaningful way to describe what
> you're trying to do.  Lets just say, for the sake of argument, that <b>
> didn't actually "make stuff bold."  Would you still use it to describe
> what you were formerly trying to make bold?  What /would/ you use?

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that "color: red;"
didn't actually "make stuff red." Would you still use it to describe
what you were formerly trying to make red? What /would/ you use?

Bold is bold, red is red, pitchas is pitchas. Geez ...

Next up: "how many valid angels can dance on the pointy end of a '<'"
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

     -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --