[thelist] replace <b> with <strong> (why dont use b tag)]

Adam Fahy afahy at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 16:39:00 CDT 2002

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Adam Fahy wrote:

>> I'm not arguing for the use of <color: red;> as a tag, so I don't
>> understand your point.
>
> I wasn't implying <color: red;> as a tag -- I'd have thought it was
> obvious I was using a CSS example from the format

It wasn't obvious because I was specifically discussing structural
markup (~HTML), not style (~CSS).

 > -- but that's not my point.
>
> Specifying I want something 'red' is no different from specifying
> I want something 'bold' -- it's strictly a visual issue. And that's
> a reasonable decision for the site designer to make.

Right, that's why CSS is useful.  Or would you prefer a <red> tag?  I
don't know what you think you're arguing against.

> Not everything *has* to be about semantic meaning.

But almost everything *has* meaning, unless we're talking about
completely random action.

-Adam