[thelist] Win 2k or XP and why?

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 22:49:01 CDT 2002

> XP to me looks like Fisher-Price My First Windows or something.  For
> whatever reason, it looks like something designed for a small child. . .

A completely invalid point. You can easily change back the look (as I did).

I run 3 desktops, each on a different version of Windows (98, 2kPro, XPpro). I have to say that
WinXP Pro has by far been most stable of the three. However, as soon as you install it you _must_
get all updates since the release date, as there have been major changes.

All software incompatabilities I have had have been consistent among XP and 2k. XP's networking in
my opinion is easier (not superior...I can't vouch for that). Connecting to DSL/Cable/LAN is
extremely easy.

I like the built-in cdrw app, image viewer, windows messager, and the color/resolution.

Some issues in XP get on my nerves...The new control panel structure (which can be switched back),
new start menu format (again, switch it back asap after install :), grouping of multiple instances
of applications, and the built-in zip extractor. Zip files (at first) look and act amazingly like
regular folders...

Other than that, IMO best desktop/local test server operating system of the windows series.

Jon