[thelist] Tip inspried (from: UI Standards)

McKeever, Marty marty.mckeever at bankofamerica.com
Thu Aug 1 08:30:01 CDT 2002

> > Given both these scenarios, why have the Reset button at
> > all? Its effects are too catastrophic
> >
> I can't say that I've ever actually used the reset button on
> a form either,
>
> Does anyone on this list use reset buttons commonly?

I use them often, and i omit them just as often.

Whenever you form starts out "blank", as in an email form, it will not need
the reset().

But when the form is part of an app and comes up with pre-filled and
pre-selected data, a reset() button is a MUST!  If you ever use a wheelmouse
to scroll a page and happen to scroll over a select box, you'll know how
easy it is to mess up the defaults on such a form.

Just because "most users" dont know about that scenario doesn't mean you
should make things harder for the few that do.  The idiots are no worse off
WITH the button, but the power users will thank you for leaving it there.

comfirm('Great Tip!');

2p.