[thelist] I've found a great use for <span>

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Thu Aug 1 11:40:01 CDT 2002

At 12:05 01/08/2002 -0400, Nan Smith wrote:
>Okay, so I have just created a blank page with this horizontal menu to see
>how it looked. What I do not understand is why the pipes are not showing up
>when the browser supports CSS. Can someone please let me know why they don't
>show?

It's all down to this CSS rule:

div#horizontalMenu span {
    display: none;
}

That means "don't display the contents of any <span> tags that occur inside
the div which has the id 'horizontalMenu'". The pipes are inside <span>
tags so the above rule causes them not to display.

Cheers,

Simon Willison
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/