[thelist] OT Bait & Switch - Mac.com Commentary

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Fri Aug 2 09:08:01 CDT 2002

>Can you tell me who if any actually uses .Mac.com?

Not I, but according to the original article, a little under 2 million
users. Their plan seems to kill 1.9 million of those accounts.

How many total Mac users are there? Oh, here, 25 million:
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-257633.html?legacy=cnet

That's a tad bit under the, what, 100-200 million Windows users?

But still, as stated in the article, only a percentage of that 25 million
are OSX users. If the trend stated at
http://www.macinstein.com/pressrelease.cfm?ID=897 is steady, at 250,000 per
quarter for the past year and a half, that's still less than 2 million OS X
users. And as pointed out in the article, these are the same users who will
have to decide whether or not to spend $130 to upgrade to Jaguar in a few
months.

Tsk tsk.

-dave