[thelist] CSS: colour attributes

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 11 11:57:00 CDT 2002

> From: Frank <framar at interlog.com>
[...]
> I've been seeing this "#FFF" all over the place for a long time. At
> first, I thought that it was simply sloppy code. Then I found Eric
> Meyer using it. I can't seem to find a reference that details the
> composition of the statement, even on the w3c. I'm feeling kind'a
> stumped, kind'a dumb.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#color-units

"The format of an RGB value in hexadecimal notation is a '#'
immediately followed by either three or six hexadecimal characters.
The three-digit RGB notation (#rgb) is converted into six-digit form
(#rrggbb) by replicating digits, not by adding zeros. For example,
#fb0 expands to #ffbb00. This makes sure that white (#ffffff) can be
specified with the short notation (#fff) and removes any dependencies
on the color depth of the display."

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself