[thelist] Running msxml

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Tue Aug 13 02:05:00 CDT 2002

Good, sounds like you have everything then. MsXSL is a command line
program, there is no GUI. You need to run it from a dos window.

Another way to play with XSL is to use IE to show the output. IE6
comes with MsXML 3 embedded. That's what it uses to parse XML/XSL.
In your XML document link you xsl document just like you would a css
page for html. IE will automatically parse and display your
transformed XML. I'd say you should start out using IE, and not worry
about the parsers right now.

Example:
<?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="myxsldoc.xsl"?>

Great XSL Tutorial. Lots more at this site too.
http://www.topxml.com/xsl/tutorials/intro/xsl1.asp

You really should get a book though, I highly recommend Beginning XML
from Wrox. It covers all the bases, and doesn't get crazy. There is a
command line XSL parser that he uses in the book to guide you through
the basics that is very easy to figure out. Unfortunately the book is
at work and I am not, or I'd give you a link to it :)
O'Reilly's XSLT is a good XSLT book when you want to get deep into
XSLT.

--
jon
mailto:jonhall at ozline.net

Tuesday, August 13, 2002, 2:11:48 AM, you wrote:

>> You need to download both of the files he linked. MsXSL is a
f> standalone program and not distributed with MSXML, it comes  > in a zip
f> all by itself, and it's named msxsl.exe conveniently :). You will want
f> to run msxsl.exe with the command line    > that Brad posted.

f> I've got that too!  Argh??!!

f> So far, I've got msxml.msi (this gives me a Windows style installer),
f> msxsl.exe (this gives me a microsecond glimpse of my command prompt box,
f> and then nothing) and msxmlmsn.exe (this asks me where I want to place
f> my extracted files, and then gives me a .msn file).  Surely there can't
f> be anything else?  Maybe there is, because I can't find anything that
f> has asked me whether I want to run it side by side.

>> What's the end goal here? Are you just learning XSL or are you
f> implementing something based using the command line       > program?
f> I've never done it that way...I prefer not to shell out for anything,
f> too much overhead (on Windows anyway).

f> I'm just trying to learn it, that's all.  Trying to run it as msxml.exe
f> (as has also been suggested, doesn't work)

>> I think most people prefer to interface with MSXML via the COM
f> interface, for which you can find many examples of how to > transform an
f> XML doc using XSL (hint: transformNode()).

f> Hmm, learning here - that bit's over my head!

>> My fav msxml reference.
f> http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/xmldom/quickref/xmldom_intro.html

f> Thanks, I'll have a read!

f> Regards