[thelist] industry-standard browser width?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 11:05:01 CDT 2002

Andrew, there really is no standard. The width of the screen has too
many variables to call any one width "standard". The OS, the browser,
resolution settings, is the window maximized and on and on.

If you want a fixed layout for 800 x 600 (which I would advise
against) I would try and find out what the likliest smallest width
might be, and take 10 pixels off that, and use it. You might end up
with something close to 700 pixels, but again, if somebody has a
window not maximized, they won't get it all.

Think liquid..

HTH.

Tom

--- Andrew LaVallee <andrew at andrewlavallee.com> wrote:
> What is the generally accepted standard width when designing for
> 800x600 screen resolutions? I've seen 778x409 (which seems on the
> short side) and am wondering how much leeway, esp. heightwise,
> there is.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

=====