[thelist] A Better Windows Email Client

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 13:37:01 CDT 2002

I'm afraid I will have to burst the Mozilla bubble and vote for Outlook 2000 (not the Express) ;).
I don't know if it's a fair competition with Outlook's price tag...

I used to use the Netscape 6 mail client (which I imagine is the same as Mozilla) and it really
annoyed me. It was slow loading, had a slow interface, minimal address book features, and I didn't
even know it had a calendar (does it?). It also had a tendency to crash on me a lot. I found it to
be very basic.

Outlook on the other hand is fast and very stable. I love the tasks feature and use it excessively
:D. The address book and calendar are great and the notes feature is pretty handy. I guess the
reason I like it so much is that everything is integrated nicely in one little package. It is one
application (contrary to Mozilla which someone mentioned entails several). The customizable
"Outlook Today" page lets you access popular tools in one screen (top 10 tasks, calendar, popular
mail folders, etc.)

It's also got pretty useful mail templating and archiving features. And as for separating emails,
it has powerful filtering which does the trick. It also allows you to access My Computer and My
Documents directly from within itself (I know, that is a pretty lazy feature...) The search is not
too shabby either. Oh and since it's MS, updates are available with the Windows Update feature
(advantage? I'm leaning towards yes :)

I think it is by far the best office app at acheiving it's goal.