[thelist] NTWRK ADMNSTRTN: [OT] a desperate plea to all you network administrators, i need your advice!

Sean G. ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Thu Aug 15 00:06:01 CDT 2002

DK:  +1 (a lot)

PS. The position I took after leaving a crazy dot com where I was the 1-man
IT dept--that company went belly up and I was laid off 6 months into the
job.

That was right when all the telcos were sweating IT workers like Robin
Williams under a heat lamp.  (If you saw his recent HBO show, you'd know
that would be a lot of sweat.)  I was out of work for 13 months--long enough
to run through the unemployment checks, burn what little savings I had left,
then run through the unemployment extension the governor finally passed.
Luckily Sept 11 rolled around, and if I wasn't depressed enough, a couple
days of watching CNN made me want to slit my wrists.

While I did have a lot of second thoughts about taking the job that I got
laid off from, I never regretted leaving the crazy dot com.  Some jobs
really are worse than no job--sounds like you had one, Dave.  Hang in there.

I HIGHLY recommend "What color is your parachute"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580083412/evoltorg>
By recommend I mean, if you can't afford to buy even a used copy, I will
send you mine.  In one of my more desperate moments, I paid a career
coach/placement service $3k.  Everything they told me was already in that
book.

I started a new job about 2.5 months ago, and call me crazy, I could
actually see myself working there until it's time to retire.  It's not
perfect, but I doing what I want to do, getting support from the people
around me, and recognition from the people above me.

HTH,

Sean G.
"I don't get it. Everyone loves rats but they don't want to drink the rats'
milk?"