[thelist] Discussing XHTML and ROI with your "boss"

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 17:33:01 CDT 2002

--- Frank <framar at interlog.com> wrote:
Tom asked
> T> One thing we are going to have to tackle is telling our "bosses"
> why
> T> XHTML is a Good Thing(TM).
>
> If you need to have these conversations with them, you
> probably shouldn't. If your boss is tech-savvy, she'll have
> a good ideas as to why.

If you think that every "tech-savvy" boss knows why XHTML is better
than hacked HTML, you live in a very small world. In actual fact, its
these very "tech-savvy" folks with their preconcieved predjudices and
beliefs that you will probably find yourself in front of - not the
CEO or the CFO.

These people need real reasons to swing to your side of view. They
sure aren't going to say, "sure Tom, you're a neat fellow! Switch
everything to XHTML today!" No, they are going to say, give me
hardcore, real reasons and tell me how it affects our bottom line.

I will have to stand before a VP here, who has 15 years as a
"tech-savvy" individual. He is the *Chief Architect* of the company.
And if the Chief Architect doesn't want to use XHTML, guess what..we
won't.

But if I give him a good enough case for it - we will. He's not an
egomaniac, but he has to account for why we do everything.

> Explaining web development to a non-tech is like teaching a
> cat to sing. It only wastes your time and annoys the cat.

I only wish it was a non-techie..it'd be easier.

> "Why did you choose XHTML?"
>
> "I'm thinking ahead. This will save you hours of time and
> money in the long run. Plus, it will make our product
> better, with relatively little work involved. Think of it as
> buying a bond. It's quiet, cheap and easy. In the long run
> you'll profit from it."

The answer to the above will be:

HOW will it save you hours of work?
HOW will I save money?
HOW MUCH money will I save? EXPLAIN to me how the money is saved, and
at what point in the process we will begin to see ROI from this
switch.
HOW MUCH work is involved in the switch. EXPLAIN what needs to be
done, who needs to be trained in what, etc.
In the long run? HOW Long, how much, we want it faster than in the
long run.

Now, what was your argument?

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();