[thelist] Usability Ideas/Suggestions

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Fri Aug 16 08:50:00 CDT 2002

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR wrote:
>>Mark Gallagher wrote:
>>I can't really see any practical uses for rev (who needs links pointing
>>*towards* the page you're reading?), but it *is* different to rel.
>
> Mmmmh. I must say that I've been using link rel for quite a long time,
> thanks to stylesheets, but I'm quite hazy about rel and rev.
>
> Anybody could explain exactly what their purpose is in the first place?

REL = relationship of referenced page to referencing page.
REV = relationship of referencing page to referenced page.

So, to use the example Lachlan and I were using earlier, suppose you had
a page named bar.html which was a child of foo.html.  To mark this up
you'd normally use:

<link rel="parent" href="foo.html" type="text/html">

This says "foo.html is my parent."  You'd also be able to use:

<link rev="child" href="foo.html" type="text/html">

This says "I am foo.html's child."  A subtle (and perhaps unnecessary)
difference, to be sure, but still a difference.

--
Mark Gallagher
Desperately attempting - and failing - to stay on topic since 1999