[thelist] Apache next error

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Sun Aug 18 21:36:00 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Maynes" <andrew at humanbehaviour.co.uk>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 17:52
Subject: RE: [thelist] Apache next error

> I created a new folder C:/apache and the PID file is created now when apache
is
> started so no problems there, the other problem has not been sorted out
> regarding not finding the fully qulified domain name?
>
> this is obviously a config file problem?

I'm taking a random guess at this problem, Andrew, but try changing your
virtual host directives to

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
    Port 80
    CustomLog "c:/apache/main_site_test.log"
combined
    ServerAdmin you at example.com
    DocumentRoot "c:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs"
    ServerName localhost
</VirtualHost>

A fully qualified domain name means that you have 1st through 3rd level
domains named - something along the lines of foo.bar.com.  I don't know why
Apache wouldn't be accepting localhost under virtual hosting settings, but if
you continue having problems, create a fake domain name and insert it into the
ServerName directive such as

ServerName fakemachine.fakedomain12.com

I'm assuming that this machine is for testing only, so the actual ServerName
won't be relevant as it would be on a production website.  If this actually
was a production website that you're hosting off of this computer, then you
would probably have a domain name registered for it already.

Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu
http://www.jacksonyee.com/