[thelist] list of deprecated tags?

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski jswiders at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Aug 19 04:18:01 CDT 2002

Today, the cows mooved Jonathon Isaac Swiderski to write:

> > I'm having no luck finding a good list of HTML deprecated tags for
> > XHTML, even on the w3c site..anyone?
>
> The following are the W3C's comprehensive tables of elements and attributes
> in the HTML-4 specification, respectively.  The fifth column in each table
> marks deprecated tags.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/index/elements.html
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/index/attributes.html
>
> I'm sure someone could work up something with grep and awk or perl to get a
> listing of just those elements and attributes which are deprecated.

In fact, given a text-dump of the above tables, one only really need a
	sed -n '/ D /p' elements.txt and a
	sed -n '/ D /p' attributes.txt
to isolate the deprecated elements and attributes . . . and I have.  There
are 10 deprecated elements and 31 unique deprecated attributes.  They are
listed, tab-delimited for your pleasure, at
[http://cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders/deprecated].

(For a listing of just the deprecated elements, do:

wget http://cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders/deprecated;
head -n 10 deprecated | awk '{ print $1 ; }'

For a listing of just the deprecated attributes, do:

wget http://cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders/deprecated;
LINES=`cat deprecated | wc -l`; LINES=$(($LINES - 11));
tail -$LINES deprecated | cut -f1 -d" " | sed '/^$/d' | uniq

Note that I'm open to suggestions if anyone's got a better idea for how to
get *all but* the first 'n' lines of a file. . .

Obviously, you'll need (access to) a linux or similar system and the
relevant programs, but you probably knew that already. . .)

hope this helps,
jonathon
who really *was* planning to go to bed before 530a today. . .

Jonathon Isaac Swiderski \\ dangercat-20 at dangercat.net
cs.oberlin.edu/~jswiders  \\  www.dangercat.net/?id=mt

Mechanical engineers build weapons; civil engineers build targets.